No products in the cart.
August: The birthstones for this month are Peridot, Spinel & Sardonyx
August is one of three birth months represented by three different gemstones.
If you were born in this month – August, then you have a variety of birthstones to choose from. Peridot, spinel, and sardonyx are the three birthstones for August, and they come in a variety of shapes and colors.
The peridot birthstone is known for being formed under extreme conditions, as it can be found in the hardened lava that carried it from deep within Earth’s mantle as well as in meteorites that traveled from outer space.
The spinel birthstone was underappreciated until recently, as today’s consumers look for an alternative to ruby, a gem with which red spinel was mistaken for centuries.
Sardonyx is the original August birthstone, with a history that dates back more than 4,000 years.
A famous quote about peridot, “Green has always been my mom’s favorite color. My father, aunt and I have gotten her jade, emerald, and peridot pieces over the years, and we always seem to be on the lookout.”
Peridot would be your birthstone if you were born in August. Peridot is an ancient, widely known gemstone with jewelry pieces dating back to the Pharaohs in Egypt.
Peridot is a semi-precious gemstone of the olivine mineral family. It has a green, vibrant glow and possibly receives its name from the Arabic word faridat, meaning “gem.” It may also acquire its name from the Greek word for “giving plenty,” peridona.
Peridot is also called “Evening Emerald” because of its shimmering color even under artificial lighting; It is both a day stone and a night stone. Throughout history, peridot has always been confused with other gems such as emerald and topaz. Many incidents from history indicate such confusion like The Shrine of the Three Holy Kings in Germany’s Cologne Cathedral is decorated with two hundred carats of gems that were believed to be emeralds but are, in fact, peridot. The Topazios Red Sea island, a purported root of the name “topaz,” actually produced peridot.
Red Sea Island
|Chakras||Heart Chakra, Solar Plexus Chakra|
|Zodiac||Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius|
|Hardness||6.5 – 7.5|
|Color||Olive green, bottle green, yellowish-green|
Healing Properties of Peridot:
Cleanser, Comfort, Communication, Healing, Good Health, Growth, Intuition, Promote Intelligence, Purification, Renewal, Relaxation
Influence of Peridot on People:
- Peridot neutralizes toxins on all levels because of its cleansing attribute.
- It exposes our hearts to joy and new relationships by reducing irritation, jealousy, and bitterness.
- It opens and sharpens the mind to new levels of awareness by enhancing confidence and motivation to change.
- It makes you more responsible and enables you to take accountability for your own life.
- Peridot strengthens the human immune system, metabolism, and benefits the skin.
- It aids disorders of the heart, lungs, gallbladder, spleen, and intestinal tract.
- Astrologists recommend peridot for promoting intelligence, communication skills, and good health.
In reference to the shape of spinel crystals, the name “spinel” comes from the Latin word spina, which means “thorn.” Spinel comes in a wealth of colors: intense red, vibrant pink, purple, orange, violet, and blue. For ages, spinel was mistaken for other gemstones such as ruby. Some of history’s most exquisite “rubies” have actually turned out to be spinel.
There are many examples in history that indicate such misconception in the past, like the 170 ct ruby, owned by a succession of Moorish & Spanish Kings before Edward (Prince of Wales), received the stone in 1367 as a reward for winning a battle on behalf of Spanish king – Peter of Castile. Not till the 18th century when spinel clearly separated from ruby on behalf of their chemical differences.
Edward the Black Prince
|Hardness||7.5 – 8|
|Color||Venusian Green, Violet, Red, Yellow, Blood red, Blue, Brown, Light blue, Pale yellow, Pink|
Healing Properties of Spinel:
Prosperity, Relaxation, Resolution, Self-Healing, Self-Discovery, Selflessness, Soothing, Strength, Trust, Truth, Wisdom, Action, Adventures, Balance, Calming Patience, Transformation, Clarity, Confidence, Courage, Growth, Inner Peace, Inspiration, Joy, Knowledge, Passion
Influence of Spinel on People:
- Along with other red gems, the Red spinel was thought to remedy all types of blood loss and inflammatory diseases and was believed to ease anger and promote harmony.
- Pink Spinel encourages the wearer to overcome any kind of physical fatigue.
- Spinel avoids anxiety and nervousness and trims down physical swelling and soreness.
- Spinel is thought to improve the recovery of many ailments, like problems in muscles, joints, and bones.
- Spinel is also beneficial in treating gums, teeth, spine, and the whole body.
- It heals cancer, controls the body weight, and increases endurance and physical power.
- Spinel is considered a savior from depression, stress, and mental tension.
- It helps to rejuvenate and invigorate the body time and again due to which the wearer feels active and fresh.
- A peach-colored Spinel is excellent in building the self-esteem of the wearer and is also thought to diminish criticism towards others.
Sardonyx is the most ancient birthstone of this month; sardonyx is a combination of two types of chalcedony: onyx and sard. Bands of brownish-red vary from brown to dark orange sard alternate with typically black or white layers of onyx. In ancient times, sardonyx was a famous stone for Roman seals and signet rings, as hot wax would not stick to it. Roman soldiers wore sardonyx rings with the image of Mars carved on them for protection in battle.
|Color||Black, red, brown, clear|
Healing Properties of Sardonyx:
Creativity, Energy, Friendship, Good fortune, Happiness, Luck, Marriage, Romance, Stamina, Vigour
Influence of Sardonyx on People:
- Sardonyx is a gemstone of strength and protection. It promotes integrity and virtuous conduct.
- Sardonyx attracts great fortune and friends. It brings stability to partnership and lasting happiness. Supplements willpower and strengthens character.
- It increases stamina, self-control, and vigour. It helps to overcome any hesitance or depression.
- Sardonyx heals lungs and bones. It regulates fluids, and cell metabolism strengthens the immune system.
Other Birthstone for August:
Thirteen different stones are listed as birthstones for the calendar month of August, depending upon star position, planetary, or talismanic stones for the Zodiac sign of Leo or Virgo.
|Sardonyx||Traditional August Birthstone|
|Diamond||Leo (Talismanic Stone)|
|Sapphire||Virgo (Star Sign)|
|Ruby||Ancient Hindu August Birthstone|
|Alexandrite||Ancient Russian August Birthstone|
|Carnelian||Virgo (Star Sign)|
|Tourmaline||Leo (Star Sign)|
|Onyx||Leo (Star Sign)|
|Citrine||Virgo (Planetary Stone)|
|Zircon||Virgo (Talismanic Stone)|
|Jade||Virgo (Star Sign)|
|Jasper||Virgo (Star Sign)|