No products in the cart.
October: The birthstones for this month are opal & tourmaline
People born in October get to choose between two birthstones (opal and tourmaline), each birthstone comes in a full spectrum of gemstones to suit anyone’s tastes.
A famous quote about tourmaline and opal, “In the 1970s, I used to buy opals and moonstones at the Queen Victoria Market, which were seen as old-fashioned and too heavy at the time.”
The name of this, October birthstone, is believed to have originated in India, wherein Sanskrit it was called upala, a “precious stone.” Others assume that its name comes from the Greek word opallios, which roughly translates into “to see a change in color,” as demonstrated when you spin an opal. Most opals are valued for their shifting colors in rainbow hues (a phenomenon known as “play-of-color.”)
The October birthstone’s dramatic play-of-color has inspired writers to compare it to fireworks, galaxies, and volcanoes. Bedouins once believed opal held lightning and fell from the sky during thunderstorms. Most of the world’s opal is produced from Australia, where seasonal rains make it common for water to leach out silica and deposit it into cracks within the ground.
|Zodiac||Cancer, Libra, Scorpio, Pisces|
|Hardness||5.5 – 6.5|
|Color||White, pink, black, beige, blue, yellow, brown, orange, red, green, and purple|
Healing Properties of Opal:
Influence of Opal on people:
- Emotional Stone: Opal reflects the mood of the wearer. It rids depression and encourages both freedom and independence.
- Makes the wearer creatively attuned: It stimulates originality and creativity. It serves to release anger and claim self-worth, aiding in expressing one’s true self.
- Opal adds to dynamism, strengthens memory.
- Opal purifies the blood and kidneys, strengthens the will to live, and treats infections and fevers.
Very few gemstones match tourmaline’s dazzling display of colors. Maybe this is why ancient mystics believed this October birthstone could inspire artistic expression (it has a color palette for every mood). Crystals of tourmaline may be of different colors in different portions or uniform color throughout, which makes them appealing.
Tourmalines are divided into several types, Elbaite, Dravite, Schorl, Liddicoatite, and Uvite being the most prominent and are farther divided into varieties depending on their color.
- Elbaite: Named after Elba’s Mediterranean island, his group is the species that is usually seen in jewelry. This species includes rubellite, indicolite, verdelite, and achroite.
- Dravite: These gems, being rich with magnesium, is characterized by dark colors ranging from dark brown-black to brown yellow.
- Schorl: This is the most common tourmaline variety to be found. They are typically black, sometimes with a brown or blue tint, and are not the stones usually used in the jewelry industry.
- Liddicoatite: It gained its recognition in 1977; before that, it was thought to be Elbaite. Its color range includes blue, brown pink, red, and green, and very rarely white.
- Uvite: This is a unique form of tourmaline, and its crystals form differently to other tourmalines. Not as colorful, it does occur in a beautiful green and reddish-brown crystals, as well as sub-metallic crystals.
|Chakras||Depending on color|
|Hardness||7 – 7.5|
|Color||Black, Brown, Violet, Green, Pink, or in a dual-colored pink and green and many more|
Healing Properties of Tourmaline:
Different colors of tourmaline are assumed to have their own healing qualities. Pink tourmaline represents love and is associated with gentleness and compassion. Black tourmaline is thought to protect the wearer and give a sense of self-confidence. Green tourmaline promotes courage, strength, and stamina.
Influence of Tourmaline on people:
- Tourmaline helps to treat paranoia, improve hand-eye combination, and overcomes dyslexia.
- It eliminates misunderstanding and helps you to understand yourself and others.
- Tourmaline release tension diminishes fear and promotes self-confidence.
- Astrologists recommend tourmaline for body detoxification and stress reduction.
Other Birthstone of October:
Fourteen different stones are listed as birthstones for the calendar month of October, depending upon star position, planetary, or talismanic stones for the Zodiac sign of Libra or Scorpio.
|Tourmaline||Traditional October Birthstone|
|Jasper||Mystical October Birthstone|
|Aquamarine||Scorpio (Star Sign)|
|Coral||Ancient Hindu October Birthstone|
|Beryl||Ancient Italian and Russian October Birthstone|
|Peridot||Libra (Star Sign)|
|Sapphire||Libra (Planetary Stone)|
|Lapis Lazuli||Libra (Star Sign)|
|Agate||Libra (Talismanic Stone)|
|Yellow Topaz||Scorpio (Star Sign)|
|Garnet||Scorpio (Planetary Stone)|
|Ruby||Scorpio (Planetary Sign)|
|Amethyst||Scorpio (Talismanic Stone)|