No products in the cart.
December: The birthstones for this month are tanzanite, turquoise & zircon
The winter blues have nothing on December’s birthstones: tanzanite, zircon, and turquoise.
A famous quote about tanzanite, turquoise, or zircon, “The tones of gray, pale turquoise and pink will prevail.”
All three of these birthstones are best known for their beautiful shades of blue. These gemstones range from the oldest on Earth to one of the most recently discovered. These birthstones are relatively inexpensive, but their beauty rivals even precious gemstones. Colorless zircon is a convincing replacement for diamond, tanzanite often substitutes sapphire, and turquoise is unmatched in its hue of robin’s egg blue.
This month is for everyone, from the blue to bluish purple of tanzanite, to the intense blue and green of turquoise, to the zircon’s rainbow varieties.
If you had to pick one, which would it be: tanzanite, turquoise, or zircon?
Tanzanite is named after the state of Tanzania in honor of its country of origin; it was discovered in 1967 in the Mererani Hills of Northern Tanzania by Maasai. The name tanzanite was coined by Tiffany and Company, who became the primary distributor and wanted to showcase the rare geographical source of this stone. In 1968, Tiffany and Company launched a major advertising campaign to promote it. With its vivid colors, high clarity, and potential for large cut stones, tanzanite quickly became a sensation.
Tanzanite is the blue-purple variety of Zoisite mineral family, imitating sapphire blue, violet, and burgundy, depending on the crystal’s position. Tanzanite is now acknowledged as one of the most popular gem in the market after the “big four,” which consists of diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. Tanzanite serves as a substitute for sapphire and is far less expensive than sapphire. In good quality, the color is ultramarine to sapphire blue; in artificial light, it appears more amethyst violet.
Massai herdsman, who discovered the largest Tanzanite
|Chakras||Crown Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra|
|Zodiac||Gemini, Libra, Sagittarius|
|Hardness||6 – 6.5|
Healing Properties of Tanzanite:
Composure, helps us to slow down, Poise and harmony
Influence of Tanzanite on People:
- Tanzanite is a stone of transformation; it allows up to move forward by dissolving old guilty memories.
- It eases skin disorders, clears the throat and lungs, and is used to treat disorders of the ears and improve vision.
- It enhances the recovery process by boosting the immune system and detoxifies and reforms tissues and cells.
Turquoise is a semi-translucent to an opaque gemstone that ranges from blue to green and often has veins of matrix running through it. This birthstone has been appreciated for over a millennium. The pharaohs and other ancient rulers of Egypt accessorized themselves with it. This birthstone was thought to possess many beneficial powers; from the 13th century on, it was believed to save the wearer from falling, and the time of disaster it would break into pieces.
This birthstone beautifies the funerary mask of King Tut. It can be seen in jewelry belonging to more modern royalty: Wallis Simpson (Duchess of Windsor), wore a splendid amethyst and turquoise necklace made by Cartier. It is considered a national treasure in Tibet, where it is believed to grant health, good fortune, and protection from evil.
Splendid Amethyst and Turquoise Necklace
|Chakras||Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra|
|Zodiac||Aquarius, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Pisces|
|Hardness||7.5 – 8|
|Color||Turquoise, blue, green, yellow-green|
Healing Properties of Turquoise:
Influence of Turquoise on People:
- Turquoise is a purification stone; it eases negative energy and can be worn to protect against outside influences or pollutants in the atmosphere.
- It balances all the chakras, stabilizing mood swings, and foster inner calm.
- It is excellent for exhaustion and depression; it also has the power to prevent panic attacks.
- It promotes self-realization and assists creative problem-solving.
- It is a symbol of loyalty and stimulates romantic love.
- It aids in the absorption of nutrients, enhances the immune system, promotes tissue regeneration, and heals the whole body.
- Turquoise purifies the lungs, soothes and clears sore throats, and heals the eyes, including cataracts.
- It neutralizes over-acidity, benefits rheumatism, gout, stomach problems, and viral infections.
The origins of the term “zircon” have extract colorful debate. Some scholars assume it comes from the Arabic word zarkun, meaning “cinnabar.” Others consider the source is the Persian word zargun, or “gold-colored.”
Considering the broad color palette for this birthstone red, orange, yellow, brown, green, and blue, either derivation seems possible. Colorless zircon is known for its flashes of multicolored light and brilliance and flashes, called fire, which has resulted in centuries of confusion with diamonds.
During the Middle Ages, zircon was thought to lull one into a deep sleep and scare off evil spirits. In the Hindu religion, zircon alternates with hessonite garnet as one of the nine gems of the navaratna. When worn together, the nine gems protect the wearer and bring wealth, wisdom, and good health.
|Color||Blue, red, yellow, orange, brown, green|
Influence of Zircon on People:
- Zircon has a calming effect on asthma, and allergies are one of the zircon’s most beneficial properties.
- These crystals also have some beneficial effects on lung infections, severe colds, and respiratory system issues.
- These stones are thought to ease the pain, which also includes menstrual pain.
- It also alleviates intestinal and digestive problems, which can cause abdominal cramps in one’s body.
- These crystals are believed to stimulate metabolism and prevent water retention in the tissues as well as blood pressure.
- Diseases such as fever, epilepsy, and insanity can be cured by the Zircon crystals.
- Similar to other red gemstones, the red hue of zircon helps the wearer in curing injuries and wounds.
- The yellow shade of this crystal is able to draw the attention of his or her partner in their relationship. While, green zircon helps the wearer in attracting prosperity and strengthens the social engagement.
Other Birthstone of December:
Thirteen different stones are listed as birthstones for the calendar month of December, depending upon star position, planetary, or talismanic stones for the Zodiac sign of Sagittarius or Capricorn.
|Blue Topz||Sagittarius (Star Sign)|
|Tanzanite||Modern December Birthstone|
|Zircon||Traditional December Birthstone|
|Lapis||Capricorn (Planetary Stone)|
|Onyx||Capricorn (Talismanic Stone)|
|Ruby||Capricorn (Star Sign)|
|Agate||Capricorn (Star Sign)|
|Garnet||Capricorn (Star Sign)|
|Amethyst||Sagittarius (Star Sign)|
|Sapphire||Sagittarius (Star Sign)|
|Beryl||Sagittarius (Talismanic Stone)|
|Chrysoprase||Gemini (Star Sign)|
Hopefully, you have found this guide to the birthstones for every month helpful. As an industry expert, we enjoy publishing knowledge about the gems you wear every day. They have long histories and have been used to signify several meanings for thousands of years.
It’s unbelievable to think of the history each one of these stones has in human’s history and how they will shape views of power and wealth for centuries to come.
Please let us know in the comments below which gemstone you purchased and whether it was a gift for your mom, son, husband, grandma, or anyone else.